Monday, July 8, 2013

My journey encounters a few stumbling blocks...

We all hit stumbling blocks at some point in our lives, whether it be at school, home, or work. They can be big ones or ones just big enough to be annoying. I've come across and overcome so many in my lifetime that I took them for granted. How does one take those for granted? Well, you just assume that whenever one does weasel its way into your life, you'll handle it. At least that was my philosophy until two months ago.

As I've previously mentioned, I'm currently attending physical therapy twice a week. The outlook in April was a very bright one. My walking was improving and nothing could stop me. On May 14th, I walked with crutches for the first time in my life. Before my therapist dropped me at the age of 10, the doctor's goal was for me to be able to transition from a walker to crutches. Twenty-five years later, that goal had finally been met.

While I was terrified, I was also excited and dare I say, in awe. When I started physical therapy in late January, I never imagined I'd be walking, let alone on crutches. Things were going well for about three weeks then one of those sneaky stumbling blocks firmly planted itself in my way. I noticed one weekend that I was unable to bear any weight on my feet and the most I could do was shuffle my feet. Pain relievers and Bengay weren't really helping the pain.

My therapist and I were equally confused as to what was causing the pain. After consulting a few other therapists, it was concluded that the way I use/walk on the crutches stretches my calf muscles. Due to the fact that I wear AFOs (braces on my legs), those muscles haven't really been used throughout my life. That, coupled with pushing myself a little too hard, was the culprit. Now that we knew what was causing the pain, the only thing left to do was place heat and Biofreeze on my calves and wait.

After what felt like an eternity (2 weeks to be exact), I was able to go back to the crutches. It was as though I had been walking all along, which I'm so thankful for.

Over the course of the two weeks, I was continually getting frustrated and annoyed with myself. I didn't understand why my "stupid" legs didn't want to cooperate. I wanted nothing more than to get up and walk and it wasn't happening. I couldn't even take two steps without my calves killing me. There were moments where I felt like all that hard work was for nothing. Then I realized something.

I'm not, nor have I ever been, a quitter.

Persistence has always been the key to my success and this time was no different. It's been roughly a month and a half that I've been walking with crutches again. So far, so good.

The next pebble I need to get out of my shoe is my fear and self doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment